Here are some of our questions for continuous assessment. This post is intended to provide more guides to our participants, and let them know what we expect from them during their studies. Whether on Distance Learning or Regular Training, all responses to continuous assessment questions should be submitted electronically by email to email@example.com.
CONTINOUS ASSESSMENT- CA1: HAZARD IDENTIFICATION
Marana Global Services Ltd is an occupational health and safety training organisation in Nigeria. As a technology driven company, most of the operational processes are managed electronically.
The company offers training using three methods comprising online training, distance learning with virtual classroom (DL-VC) and physical (in-person) instructor led classes.
The organisation has staff who work remotely, while a few others work from the office. In line with the safety policy, the company desires to achieve an operational process that is free of all significant risks.
To do this, the company must identify all credible hazards (both existing and potential) and subject these to risk analysis so that the risks can be addressed.
You have been appointed to conduct the hazard identification exercise. Using the five hazard categories, list the hazards that can be identified with the company's operations
NOTE: Your list of hazards must include at least, five examples under each of the hazard categories.
PRACTICAL ASSESSMENT- CA2
To check your continuous assessment for plagiarism, click here.
Questions for General HSE
1. Company XYZ Nigeria Ltd has challenges in implementing a sound HSE management system. Over the past two years, their efforts to change the workers attitudes to safety have not yielded expected results. In their quest for better safety performance, you have been hired to replace their HSE officer who was just relieved of his duties. Your priority is to bring desired improvement in the safety culture of the organization. How best can you approach this challenge to prove your worth and bring desired improvement?
2. A construction company has recorded several lost time injuries within the last five years due to their lack of commitments to health and safety. Typically, they would spend any amount for the operations department but always reluctant to attend to safety issues. As the new HSE officer, you are not comfortable with this poor safety performance. In not more than 300 words, explain how you would convince the management to place equal priority on HSE and operations activities.
3. On July 6, 2017 at around 3:35pm, a passenger bus was involved in an accident along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway after straying into the bush. By the time emergency response team got to the scene, three of the passengers were found dead following the accident while nine others, including the driver sustained varying degrees of injuries. One other victim was also rescued without any physical injury. Preliminary findings showed that the bus was carrying 14 passengers who were going for a political function in Lagos. Some eye witness reports suggested factors that could have led to the accident, naming potholes, over speeding, driving errors and bad weather as the causes.
Your team has been assigned to conduct a full investigation of the accident.
a) What will be your approach towards the investigation and what questions would you ask?
b) Identify key persons for interviews.
c) What will the outline of your investigation report?
d) List some limitations/constrains to this investigation.
Questions for HSE Level 3
4. Eight workers of XYZ Group Nig. Ltd were involved in a building collapse, leading to the death of one staff. Six others were being treated in the hospital due to several injuries but the medical team assured of their full recovery over some time, estimated between 22 days and 35 days. The company site supervisor, however, escaped the collapse with bruises and was discharged within two hours from the hospital after medical examination. The company has a total of 22 staff, including the Managing Director who was on official trip abroad and Admin Manager who was on annual leave through out the period. Assuming the company worked 8-hours per day over a 15-day period, the accident happened at the end of day five at work and no other lost time injuries were recorded, prepare their HSE Statistics.
5. As a distributor of office appliances, your organization has just won a contract to install 100 pieces of ceiling fans in a government facility located 12km away from your office. Using the JHA template provided, prepare the job hazard analysis for this task and write out the safe job procedures that will be used. You may also download the template at www.maranaglobal.com
6. Using the five hazard control methods, identify the various practical means by which the risks associated with excavation works can be effectively managed to ensure safe operations.
Questions for Advanced HSE
7. On July 6, 2017 at around 3:35pm, a passenger bus was involved in an accident along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway after straying into the bush. By the time emergency response team got to the scene, three of the passengers were found dead following the accident while nine others, including the driver sustained varying degrees of injuries. One other victim was also rescued without any physical injury. Preliminary findings showed that the bus was carrying 14 passengers who were going for a political function in Lagos. Some eye witness reports suggested factors that could have led to the accident, naming potholes, over speeding, driving errors and bad weather as the causes.
Your team has been assigned to conduct a full investigation of the accident.
a) Prepare a sample investigation report, outlining some recommendations that may be considered in real life case.
b) List some limitations/constrains to this investigation.
8. Company XYZ Nig. Ltd is a newly established acetylene gas plant. The company is relying on your expertise as HSE Manager to provide professional guidance for a successful business.
a) How would you help them achieve a sound safety management system?
b) Prepare samples of relevant policies to guide the organization.
Questions for Self Video Assessment (SVA)- CA3
You are required to share your ideas on any of the subject areas below as may be assigned during your training. The topics relating to each of the discussions are enclosed in parenthesis. For information on how to do your SVA, read the details here.
1. Hazard and effect management process. (Risk Assessment)
2. Why organizations should always do risk assessment before embarking on activities. (Risk Assessment)
3. The roles of employees in workplace fire prevention. (Fire Safety)
4. How top management leadership and commitment can help achieve organization's HSE objectives. (HSE-MS)
5. The various classes of fire and extinguishing techniques. (Fire Safety)
6. The need for effective communication during confined space operations. (Confined Space Safety)
7. Why all occupational incidents must be investigated. (Incident Investigation)
8. The hazard control hierarchy. (Risk Assessment)
9. The need for job hazard analysis in construction industry. (Risk Assessment)
10. The roles of employees in construction safety management. (Construction Safety)
11. The need for active supervision during construction activities. (Construction Safety)
12. The difference between trench and excavation. (Construction Safety)
13. Working safe with scaffolds. (Scaffold Safety)
14. Working safe with ladders. (Ladder Safety)
15. Working safe with aerial lifts. (Aerial Lifts)
16. Working safe with power tools. (Construction Safety)
17. Working safe with hand tools. (Construction Safety)